Blackberry is a distant relative of another berry crop - raspberries. Fruits of wild-growing blackberries are quite tasty, therefore, it has recently begun to be cultivated. The berries have a pleasant, slightly sour taste. They are distinguished by their juiciness and are used both in fresh and in processed form.. Blackberries can make delicious jams, compotes, jellies. Also make drinks from it - syrups, juices, liqueurs. In this article we will take a closer look at how to replant the blackberry in spring and autumn.
At what time you can replant blackberry
Observing the rules of transplanting blackberries can be transplanted at any time: in spring and autumn. It all depends on the climatic conditions of a particular region.Blackberry bush with fruits
When transplanting blackberries in the spring this must be done before bud break. It is undesirable to disturb the plant in May. This month is an active sap flow, and careless actions will damage the plant.
In the fall, the most favorable period for transplantation is the third decade of September - the beginning of October. Practice autumn transplant in areas where early frosts are not as strong. For winter Blackberries must be covered - this also applies to frost-resistant varieties. Replace the blackberry should be a month before the onset of frost. In this case, the plant will have time to adapt to new conditions.
Transplant in spring
Some blackberry varieties are recommended to replant only in early spring. For example - bearingless varieties. Blackberry roots are quite tender and brittle.therefore, it is important to transfer it along with a clod of earth. Then blackberry will take root well and will not freeze.Replace the blackberry in the spring should be a lump of earth
Replant the blackberry in the spring of ways: division of the maternal shrub or root processes. These operations are carried out when the threat of recurrent frosts has passed. Plants are planted with a distance of 11 cm between the bushes. The landing pit is well fertilized, but the blackberry roots should not directly touch the fertilizer.
At the transplanting site, all weeds are removed and the furrows are made up to a depth of 30 cm. Compost or old manure mixed with soil is added to this trench.When transplanting the roots of the plant straighten, making sure that they are located horizontally, covered with earth and compacted. The upper kidney is placed at a height of 2 cm above the ground.
If a spring transplant is carried out by cuttings, they are settled in a prepared trench and covered with a layer of soil (up to 8 cm). Planting is covered with a layer of mulch, which includes sawdust, hay, humus.
Transplant in the fall
Transplanting in the fall is practiced in those areas where there is a long and warm autumn. In this case, the transplanted shrub or cutting has time to adapt to frost. When transplanting in the fall, blackberries are sheltered for the winter.. This also applies to frost-resistant varieties. Frost-resistant varieties cover, if possible frosts up to -20 degrees. A simple curly blackberry dies at -10 degrees of frost. Thin shoots are removed from the supports, twisted into bunches, spread on the ground and covered.
If an upright variety of blackberry is grown, then shelter can be difficult. After all, when you try to bend escape, it easily breaks at the base. To prevent the stem from breaking, an artificial mound is poured at its base and shoots are laid on it..With autumn transplanting, blackberry bushes should be well covered for the winter.
Another original way is to tie some load to the upper end of the shoot. Under its action at the beginning of frost, the escape descends to the ground.
Shoots that are laid in one way or another are covered with sawdust, hay or straw. Above spread dark polyethylene or roofing felt.
As for the summer transfer of blackberries, the opinions are divided. Any plant can be transplanted year-round. Therefore, if you do not mind the variety of cultivated blackberries - try. Only, Some recommendations should be followed:
- work carried out either early in the morning or in the evening, after sunset.
- all actions need to be done as quickly as possible. Dug up the plant and transplant immediately. Blackberries in the open sun quickly wither and dry.
- better after transplant artificially plant the plant.
- first time you need conduct abundant watering transplanted bush.
How to transplant a blackberry to a new place?
On the annual blackberry sprouts buds develop, and only in the second year begins fruiting. The plant is unpretentious and takes root on any soil. High-quality harvest depends primarily on the correctness of the separation of fruit-bearing and new shoots. According to the methods of separation of shoots are distinguished:
- forming a bush like a fan. Fruiting branches are sent to the side, and new ones are formed in the center.
- rope formation. Branches with fruits grow along the stretched wire. New branches, similar to the previous method, grow in the center.
- wave formation. One of the new ways. Branches with berries are placed on the lower rows, and the young - on the top.
Before you choose a variety of blackberry and place it on the site, you must be familiar with the principles of its planting:
- for the bush is necessary prepare a hole 40x40 cm.
- roots cover with a simple ground. The remaining space of the pit is filled with earth mixed with manure.
- stand distance between bushes up to 1 m.
- seedling pruned at a height of 20-25 cm from soil level.
Reproduction can be carried out during the summer and autumn. Blackberry planting options are distinguished depending on its variety. Blackberry Creeping seated by dividing the maternal bush, horizontal and apical branches, cuttings. Breeding methods for erect blackberry - division of the maternal shrub, cuttings and root processes.
- rooting of apical branches. The easiest and most common way of breeding blackberries. Any one-year runaway with a growing end is pressed into the ground, fixed and covered with earth. The fixation point is kept constantly wet. The sprinkled end of the shoot does not grow, but begins to take root. After one or two months, new shoots appear, the root system is fully formed. Bush cut from the maternal branch and transplanted.
- rooting horizontal bends. Under a bush they loosen a horizontal strip of earth. To her bend a year's escape and strengthen it. Powder and maintain moisture in this place. After one or two months, cut off and cut into several pieces transplanted.
- root process. In the spring of new shoots growing from the roots, develop on the surface. At the same time, the connection with the mother bush is not lost. Green shoots are dug from May to June. Dig them with a lump of earth and transplant to a new place. The height of the excavated shoots should be from 10 cm. The remaining shoots are best removed when loosening the soil.
- maternal bush division. This method is used if it is necessary to uproot the whole shrub and transfer the blackberry to a new site. Old shoots with roots are destroyed, and only young ones with a developed root system are transplanted.
- Breeding scheme of blackberries apical layering
- Blackberry reproduction by planting root processes
- Blackberry reproduction division of the parent bush
- Blackberry reproduction by cutting
Caring for blackberries after transplanting
The main thing in blackberry care is the right place for planting, watering and timely feeding of the bushes. You need to plant a plant in a place where the soil under the bushes will warm up and there will be no stagnation of water.
In the spring, stagnant water near the roots can lead to plant rotting.. The soil under the bushes must be kept loose.
When caring for blackberry bushes, the following recommendations should be followed:
- hold a garter and pruning bushes.
- since blackberry is an unfreeze-resistant plant shoots shelter for the winter. To do this, they are bent to the ground and sprinkled with leaves.
- to combat gall mite in the fall, cut off the diseased branches and spray the bush garlic infusion.
- on hot summer days it is recommended in the evening spray bushes with water. It helps young shoots to get stronger before winter.
- in the spring, at the beginning of budding shoots fertilize with potash fertilizers.
Blackberry - a plant with healing properties. Fruits contain nicotinic acid, vitamins and minerals. Acts as a febrifuge. For medicinal purposes, the blackberry is used fresh, as jam and as tea. Use berries and young leaves.