Meat and eggs of home quail not only have an excellent taste, but are also considered dietary and healthy. However, in order for the bird to regularly give eggs, and its meat to be tasty, it is necessary to provide quails with optimal conditions for their housing. Spacious warm cages are simply necessary for comfortable living of birds.
In this article we will learn how to make a cage for quails with your own hands at home according to the drawings, let's talk about the size of the cages for quails for 10, 20 and 50 heads.
Homemade designs on 10 quail
How to build a cage for quail with your own hands on 10 heads? In the manufacture should calculate the size that will be optimal for such a number of birds. Usually, quail cage sizes for 10 heads are 30 × 75 cm and 25 × 60 cm for birdsgrown for eggs and meat.
Quail cells must meet the following criteria:
- the cell sizes depend on the size of the birds so that they do not fall to the floor;
- the design should not be damp and moldy, because otherwise the birds can get sick;
- The number of quails must be in size.
Below is a diagram of the cage for quail, which can be done independently with your own hands.1 - frame; 2 - drinking bowl; 3 - the door; 4 - feeding; 5 - tray for assembling eggs; 6 - gender; 7 - litter tank.
You can save space by placing the cells on top of each other.. Get a kind of cell battery for quails. To do this, they must fit each other in size and shape. Fix the houses for the birds can be ordinary wire. Enough two or three tiers. The first design is installed at a height of at least 10-30 cm above the floor.
For frame wood or reinforcement can be used and walls made of mesh. It is important to choose a grid of such diameter that the birds could not get out. Quail is a pretty small bird, so you can use a small chain netting net.
How to build a cage for 20 heads at home
The cages should not hamper the movement of the bird, so you can make the size of the cage for quail 20 heads larger than the standard. For an adult male the area of about 100 square centimeters will be the most comfortable. Respectively, in a cage with an area of 1 m² a herd can easily be placed in a number of 75 individuals. Everywhere should be provided:
- drinking bowl;
- feeding trough;
- egg collector;
- litter tray.
The ideal material for the egg pickup, feeders and drinkers - durable plastic. Any plastic container can be easily adapted for bird tanks. The litter assembly tray can be made from sheet iron. The lifetime of these materials is higher.
The cage can be made from any material that is at your fingertips: for example, from wood. The cage is similar to a wooden box with dimensions of 30x30x25 cm. However, despite the seeming simplicity of manufacturing, such a cage needs additional lighting, ventilation and maintaining the optimum temperature.
Ventilation can be provided by recesses through which air will flow in. Temperature and lighting can be maintained by lamps that are tailored to the needs of birds. Light and heat can also come through recesses in the cell walls.Finished cage for 20-30 quail
Step-by-step instructions for making a cell battery for 50 quails with your own hands
The minimum square cage for quails with their hands on 50 pcs. should be 75 × 150 cm for birds of the parent flock and 60 × 120 cm for breeding meat and egg breeds.
Mixed materials are best used for manufacturing.which are always at hand. For the maintenance of large poultry herds can be made cages in several tiers. Such an approach is justified by the small size of quails, which can be kept in large numbers in a small area.
It is cheaper to use mixed materials. Under the frame can be adapted a piece of wood appropriate size. For the sidewalls, ceiling and floor, an ordinary mesh that is easy to find in any gardener’s arsenal is perfect.
We take the minimum size (30x30 cm), which can be increased depending on the number of birds. For the maintenance of 50 heads, you can always install a multi-tiered cage in which all quails will easily fit.
You will also be interested to know about:
- Breeding quail at home.
- How to build a chicken coop yourself at home.
- How to make an incubator for eggs yourself with your own hands.
And now we will look at the step-by-step instructions for a cage for quails with our own hands.
For this you will need:
- 8 wooden boards 30 cm long and 2.5 cm thick;
- grid with small cells (2x2 meters);
- nails and screws;
- canopies and metal corners.
Initially, we manufacture the frame of wooden bars, which then fasten the sidewall of the grid. We make the ceiling and the floor, fastened to the box. For ease of assembly use metal corners.
How to make quail cells from the grid?
Quail netting is one of the most affordable materials you can use to create cages.
Initially, the frame is prepared, corresponding to the number of heads of a bird. Cell sizes can be completely different. The bottom, sidewalls and the ceiling is attached to the frame. The frame must be strong, so we take the basis of metal or wood. If you chose a wooden frame, it is recommended to take wooden bars 25x50 mm.
The corners of 25x25 mm are well suited for a metal frame. Mesh connectors on the sides should be selected so that they fit the heads of birds when feeding. Birds should not fall out through the holes in the floor and in the sidewalls, therefore for the floor we select a grid of smaller diameter than for the sides.
What are we doing?
- Prepare the corners for the frame. We will need 4 corners of the following sizes: 300 mm and 500 mm, as well as 3 angles of 700 mm. Connect the corners, then fasten bars with screws. The corners of the metal bolted or welded to the frame.
- The size of the walls are calculated by the size of the walls. The walls of the grid fasten furniture stapler to ensure that the bracket sat exactly and could not harm the birds during the operation of the cage. The grid can be fastened to the metal frame using wire.
- We make the floor at an angle of about 7-9 degrees. When assembling the floor, we take into account the length of the egg box (about 10 cm), the end of which is bent a few centimeters. Eggs will be fixed in one position. Between the egg box and the wall we leave a gap of 3 centimeters, where the eggs will roll.
- The door is fastened in such a way that you can put your hand into it. The door is also made from the grid and fixed with awnings.
- We produce a litter pallet. It is better to take a piece of sheet iron, for which just take care and which will last a long time.
From plastic boxes
Making cages for quails from plastic boxes is simple: we don’t need to calculate dimensions, we don’t need to look for a frame. Just enough to carry out refinement and we will have a finished cell. Plastic box diameters are well suited for quail keeping.
We will need:
- two boxes of small height;
- one drawer about 17 cm high
What to do?
- Cut off the corners on the tops of the boxes.
- We put a tall box on a small one, which will become a tray to assemble a litter. From above we establish the second low box. We look for the diameters of the boxes to match. Fix the construction of the wire.
- Cut through the cover in the top drawer.
- If necessary, expand the cells of the boxes. In the openings should pass the head of the bird when feeding.
Plywood: drawings and sizes
Plywood cages can be made both on the basis of the frame, and can be installed between the walls and the walls using bars.. The sizes directly depend on how many birds you plan to contain. Before manufacturing, it is imperative to make a drawing of a cage for quails or quails and only then proceed to manufacture.
What are we doing?
- Cut out the side walls 350x200 mm, butt and ceiling (the dimensions of the ceiling and end wall - 700x350 mm). In the sidewalls cut small holes for ventilation and lighting.
- All blanks are treated with antiseptic or varnish.
- Fasten parts to each other with corners and screws.
- Cut the floor (The dimensions correspond to the dimensions of the ceiling) and fasten it to the base of the cage with a stapler or nails. Consider the angle of inclination of 7-10 degrees.
- Install the door on the front of the box.
As you can see, making homemade cages for keeping quails on the drawings is not so difficult. The main thing is patience and you will succeed.Plywood quail cage