The spring period for any plant is considered important because of the beginning of the vegetative process. The normal development of young shoots is the key to a generous harvest. Special attention in the spring care is given to voracious crops, which include garlic.
Winter garlic care for autumn planting
Winter varieties are planted in the fall. Pre-selected a suitable place for the culture, which excludes shading and strong drafts.
Predecessors in the open area can be: cucumbers, early cabbage, onions, zucchini, pumpkin, squash. After the potatoes, planting beds under spring or winter garlic is not worth it, the likelihood of infection with a nematode, fusarium is high.
Proper open field planting
The correct scheme:
- spacing between rows - 25-30 cm;
- distance between teeth in a row - 15-20 cm;
- closure depth - 10-15 cm.
The period of work is the end of September, the beginning of October.Winter garlic is planted in late September-early October
Gardeners recommend dividing the beds in the direction east to west. This will ensure normal warming and illumination of the culture in the summer until the moment of harvesting.
Pay attention and seed preparation. It needs to be sorted out by removing damaged teeth. It is also recommended to carry out disinfection by soaking garlic in copper sulfate solution (5 tablespoons of water per 5 liters of water). As a disinfectant, a weak solution of potassium permanganate or “Maxime” is suitable.
After planting the beds are mulched with a layer of peat (you can also use sawdust, humus). This will help the seedlings survive the harsh winter. In the spring the mulch is removed, why, so that the shoots are not stuck.
The need for fertilizer and processing when growing garlic
Garlic is greedy, so it pulls out of the soil a large number of micronutrients necessary for the growing season. After harvesting, such a site should be generously enriched with fertilizers, and it is recommended to re-plant it. in 3-4 years.It is recommended to use special complex fertilizers for garlic.
Culture perfectly responds to organics and minerals. It is better to use them in a comprehensive way to prevent rotting of planting material or forming heads.
Soil is prepared one month before planting. They dig up it and introduce humus or compost. Also, to increase the fertility of the soil, superphosphate (30 g.) And potassium chloride (20 g.) Are added per 1 m2. In the presence of an acidic environment, wood ash is used.
After the snow (about a week later), the first complementary feed is introduced. At this stage, it is appropriate to use urea (7-10 grams per 1 m2) or ammonium nitrate (10-15 grams per 1 m2). The procedure should be repeated in the second half of May, when heads begin to form.
Loosening and weeding in the spring
To ensure normal air circulation, it is necessary to loosen the soil. The first time it needs to be done after the appearance of shoots above the ground in April. Rakes or light harrows should be run (3-4 times) across the rows, immersing the tool by 8-10 cm.Loosening is necessary for air circulation.
This procedure maximum saves valuable moisture in the earththat has accumulated in the country during the winter period. At this stage, weeds are manually removed.
After 2-3 weeks weeding is carried out with deep removal of weed roots. During the growing season, the neighborhood with them is highly undesirable, since there is a high probability of rotting of the onion forming. Cleaning weeds from weeds is prevention of the spread of diseases and pests.
The absence of dense thickets does not attract insects, because for the deposition of larvae they are looking for secluded places. When performing work, you should remove the ground from the stalks of garlic to form holes. This provides good access to plants moisture from precipitation or irrigation. In total, the first stage of the growing season is 2-4 loosening and weeding.
Often, gardeners mulch the soil to reduce weeding and loosening. peat or rotted manure. The crop is additionally enriched with nutrients, and weeds rarely make their way through a layer of mulch.
Rules of watering with water and saline
Garlic refers to moisture-loving plants, therefore, at the first stage of the growing season and during the formation of heads, regular irrigation with water is necessary.After emergence of shoots it is necessary to carry out regular watering.
The amount of fluid to regulate depending on precipitation and soil conditions. Sample rules:
- with moderate heat and rain, pour 10-12 liters per 1 m2 (1 time in 10 days);
- in dry weather, the rates remain the same, but the frequency of watering increases to 1 time in 5 days;
- in rainy weather, there is no need to water the plant.
The soil after watering should be moistened to a depth up to half a meter. To complete irrigation activities should be harrowing to ensure deeper penetration of moisture into the soil.
Salt water or salt water is practiced to create protection against onion flies. Carry out the procedure should be at the stage of formation of 3-5 leaves. To prepare the solution using a glass of salt in a bucket of water.
According to the advice of experienced gardeners, this method of treatment should not be abused, because the excess sodium and chlorine contained in the product inhibit the growth and development of plants. Moreover, such a mixture is dangerous for the soil, it destroys its structure, provokes leaching of useful microelements from the nutrient layer. It is necessary to closely monitor how much mineral is added, and if that is to drain the excess and dilute it with plain water.
Common mistakes when taking care of garlic
The simplicity of the plant relaxes many inexperienced gardeners who violate the rules of care. Ardent tutelage, garlic is also considered unnecessary. does not need abundant wateringlike many other cultures.With excessive watering, the heads may start to rot.
It is worth taking into account the mistakes that gardeners often make when growing garlic.
- Planting garlic at the same place leads to a significant reduction in yield. The optimal time interval is 3-4 years.
- Shading beds with tall trees, shrubs or buildings is unacceptable. Lack of sunlight affects vegetation.
- In the devastated soil of a good harvest does not grow. In autumn and spring, it is necessary to carry out planned activities for feeding the plantation.
- Nitrogen fertilizers are undoubtedly useful and important for culture, but their surplus leads to a decrease in shelf life. Enter them is not appropriate at the beginning of the head formation period.
- Abundant watering is appropriate only at the initial stage of development of the shoot. Further, the rate is reduced, and before harvesting for 20-25 days irrigation stops altogether.
- Some owners practice the cultivation of garlic from cloves and broths (seeds) on the same bed. This can not be done, since the landing technology has different conditions and terms.
- Planting material must be sorted. When splitting cloves, it is not worth damaging the scale, because it prevents rotting.
- There is an erroneous opinion that it is not worth hurrying with the harvest, as if the heads will gain more volume. This is a delusion, the delay threatens the decay of cloves. After the leaves turn yellow, the root vegetable is ready to be dredged and dried.
Garlic is easy to grow, but you still have to make some effort and care for a rich harvest. For convenience, gardeners make a schedule of mandatory measures, which allows to provide the plant with nutrients in a timely manner and to prevent diseases and pests.