Growing strawberries in the climatic conditions of the middle zone is a very difficult task. Remain without harvest, putting maximum effort possibly due to natural disasters during growth, flowering or ripening berries. To wait for the result of the spent labor will help properly selected grade. In this article, let's take a look at the Zenga Zengan strawberry variety, which is described below.
Description of the strawberry variety Zenga ZenganStrawberry Zeng Zengana - sweet berry without sourness
Developments on breeding the hybrid were made by German specialists in order to obtain a high-yielding variety of strawberry in cool climate countries. In 1954, under the supervision of a breeder of German descent Reinhold von Zengbush, in the vicinity of Hamburg a positive result was achieved. Use on an industrial scale gained popularity in the 60s and 70s of the 20th century.
Characteristics of berries
The following characteristics are inherent in the berries of this strawberry variety.:
- Weight. The beginning of fruiting presents copies of up to three, four dozen grams. By the end, the tendency to shredding appears. Averages range from ten to fifteen grams throughout the main berry selection period.
- The form. It is characterized by a predominance of cone-shaped outlines, with an extension to the stem. Possible variety with heart-shaped variations.
- Colour. Depends on the line from the place of growth: the shadow areas give a bright red color, daughters of the sun reach the burgundy tone. The flesh in similar conditions, starting with pink and ending with dark red, shade.
- Surface. Dense, with a glossy sheen, with eye-catching yellowish seeds. The consistency is juicy, homogeneous, without admixture of wateriness, which is well reflected in transportation and presentation. When cooked, the size of the berries remains unchanged.
- Taste. Sweet, with notes of sourness, can be used in fresh and processed forms. Inherent rich strawberry flavor.
Breeding history and region of growth
The beginning of the selection of varieties was laid in Lückenwald, near Berlin, with the financing of the company Messr and Andersen.
Since 1945, the breeding development has been moved to three basic areas:
- Selection fields in Lückenwald;
- area on the basis of sandy soils of increased lightness in Glienicke;
- On clay heavy soils on the Elbe, in Barbie.
In 1948, breeding material was placed on an experimental field in Wulfsdorf, behind the Hamburg border. Of the two species (crossing the Sieger and Marche varieties), the three clones obtained at the final stage, the most productive, were planted on an area of half a hectare in 1953. One year later A new variety, the first one suitable for deep freezing, called Zenga Zengana.
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Positive aspects include:
- No loss of berry shape during heat treatments (jam and freezing).
- Extensive commercial use based on fruit preservation as a result of shipments.
- Decent taste and fragrant aroma products.
- The possibility of growing with different weather conditions, unpretentiousness in relation to soils.
- Compact plantthat gives the right to use a limited area for multiple plantings.
- Increased immunity root system to fungal infections.
Each medal has a downside.:
- Long-term fruiting affects as berries (small by the end of the season).
- In hot weather need frequent watering.
- A planted variety with male flowers and presence of pollinating insects.
- Tendency to disease gray moldyu, frequent defeat strawberry mite.
Sowing material can be purchased in nurseries, on the market, through online stores. With this variety on its own plot propagated by seated received outlets.
How to chooseChoosing and proper planting strawberry seedlings - the key to high yield
Careful inspection of seedlings:
- absence of tearing up,
- freshness and suitability for carriage
- core presence green or light shade of strong and elastic structure,
- basal neck is about six centimeters in diameter,
- good development and no root damage.
Definition with a plot
Place for placement is selected with a flat surface (slopes and lowlands are not suitable for this hybrid). Maximum allowed solar lightingrequired for ripening, it is possible to obtain in the southern open area.
Soil preparation2-3 weeks before planting strawberry seedlings, the soil must be fed
Stripping of weeds, pests (if found), feeding in the form of such fertilizers as humus, manure (rotted), superphosphate and potash components. To reduce the acidity (if necessary) use dolomite flour.
Landing in stages
- Getting ready small holes and moistened.
- The socket is placed with location on the surface.
- Powdered root system.
- Followed by abundant watering with hiding mulch.
- Methods are used one lower case, two lower case, and non-landing landing.
- Spacing between the bushes - not less than a quarter of a meter. Between the rows - three quarters.
It is unpretentious culture, subject to certain requirements.
It is carried out according to weather conditions. In the heat, the soil is moistened as it dries, but at least once a week. In the usual time enough to shed once for one, two weeks. The earth is soaked for a couple, three dozen centimeters deep.Morning hours are considered the best time for watering strawberries.
Water should not be allowed to come into contact with leaves, flowers and berries, so it is best to drip water.
The basic rule is not to overdo it. Liquid-type fertilizers are directed towards greens, not fruits.. Accurate dosage required. Cowsweet with the addition of sulfate watering is carried out at the entrance of foliage in growth.
Urea solution is used for yield. Often used dry forms of fertilizers, by sending between the rows before loosening.
Fruiting period in good conditions and bad
Fruiting begins after a month at the end of flowering. Berry ripening begins in the middle of the first summer month, and can last until the beginning of autumn.
With cold springs may bloom again (grade does not apply to remontant). Pledged buds of peduncles wake up in August. The berries in this case are not many, but clean and large.
Preparing for the winter
At the end of autumn planting covered. With warm, snowy winters, a large enough layer for mulching. Frosty winters require the use of spruce branches, covering material stretched over the arc (Spunbond, Agrotex, etc.).
Hybrid varieties are multiplied by growing season. The method of mustache seating involves the use of branches of bushes as a planting material. high yield and healthy appearance.Division of strawberry bush Zenga Zengan
Seed reproduction hybrid Victoria leads to the loss of all indicators of the cultivated varieties.
The strawberries of this variety have the following features.:
- Garden strawberries represented by tall but compact busheswith medium-sized green leaves.
- Small characteristic outlet formation (mustache).
- Location of peduncles below the foliage, or at the same level.
- Lack of influence of strong frosts for fruiting (heat and dryness reduces the quality and quantity of berries).
- Distinctive yield (up to one and a half kilograms from each bush).
Diseases and pests
Prevent damage to the bushes can be during preventive measures:
- Maintain cleanliness ridges
- During remove spoiled copies
- Neat and correct top dressing,
- Spring and autumn treatments with fungicidal and pesticidal solutions,
- Change of the occupied area in three years (transplant).
If a disease or pest occurs, do the following:
- Strawberry Mite using acaricides (Fufanon, Actellic, Kemifos and Karbofos) in very accurate dosage. Suitable colloidal sulfur.
- Fighting spotted depends on the color of the lesions. The white form is treated with fungicides (Topaz, Horus or Gold), or with iodine solution. The brown variety involves the use of a mixture of potassium permanganate, soda, iodine and soap.
- Gray rot eliminate by spraying a mixture of chalk, ash with the addition of copper sulfate with water. Mustard powder solution is used over a large area. The frequency of processing every ten days.
- Brown Strawberry Leaf Spot
- Strawberry bush struck by strawberry mite
- White spotted leaves
- Gray rot
Currently there is many new clones of this grade with the worst performance. The original variety is almost absent.